Tuesday, November 10, 2015

People Do NOT Respect Flashers Anymore.....

 People absolutely do not respect cars with flashers anymore.  I understand some people abuse the "flasher rule", but there really are people that truly have their flashers on for a reason.... just throwing that out there :)!

Yesterday morning before I took the kids to school I knew Mom wasn't feeling well.  She was having bad stomach pains which generally lead to an obstruction.  By the time I got back from taking the kids, she called me.  

She was in terrible pain.  I immediately changed clothes and headed to her house.  She didn't want to make the long trip to Birmingham, so we went to the Dothan E.R.  I turned the flashers on and off we went.  Nausea and vomiting are part of an obstruction.  She took a bucket to throw up in and much to my surprise I handled her throwing up very well.  I don't even handle my own kids throwing up very well, but when she filled the bucket, I pulled over at a gas station, poured it out and washed it.  I didn't even flinch.  

I put the flashers back on and off we went.  Seriously, do you know how many people would not get over on the 4 lane?  Or how many people pulled out in front of us?  It was really ridiculous.

Anyway, we made it and unfortunately, Dothan is very familiar with her situation.  

It is so very hard to watch her go through what she goes through. 

This was in the E.R. waiting room. ( She wasn't laying on the floor.  We were sitting against the wall. )
 This next picture makes me smile.  I just grabbed some sweatpants and a long sleeve tee... because I knew no one would care in the emergency room.  When I got to Mama's, she sat on her bed in discomfort and wanted to put "clothes" on, but changing clothes was even painful, so she went in her pajamas.  If anyone knows my Mama, this is not like her at all.  I don't know how many times while we were waiting, she said, "I can't believe I came in my pajamas".  But as we looked around, you'd be surprised (okay.... maybe not) at how well we fit in. 

I took this in her E.R. room.
 Everyone at Flowers Hospital is so nice.  We happened to get the same ER doctor that she had when she was admitted in September.  He ordered an xray and sure enough it showed the start to another bowel obstruction.  By now, she knows the signs of one pretty quick.  This time it started bothering her yesterday morning about 1.  She has medicine to try to help with it, but when it won't touch the pain she knows it is time to go. 
This was after she was admitted and we were heading up to her room.
 Although this is her 3rd time with the g-tube, it was my first time watching them put it in.  MY. HEART. BROKE.  That was awful watching!  The nurse kept saying that she was a champ.  She truly is.  Mom joked and said by the 3rd time she just knows what to expect.
I came home last night and Tyler went to the hospital after work to stay.  Her pain comes and goes.... and unfortunately a side effect of the Dilaudid (her pain medicine) are really bad headaches.  So she is battling that now.  
 Her magnesium stays pretty low, so she has to get some through the IV often.
She'll be in the hospital 3-4 days and then hopefully will get out in time for chemo on Friday.

I can tell the battle is getting harder to fight, so please just keep praying for her to have the strength to fight.  She's by no means ready to give up, but she is getting tired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment