Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Moms Post Op Appointment

Us on the way :) (My brother was snoozing in the back seat)
 Moms post op appointment was one week ago today.  Before we went, her friend, Candi, helped her (I was there for moral support.... didn't do a lot of decorating) bake and decorate these cute cookies for the entire staff on the cancer floor.....
 She hadn't been feeling well since her surgery. She was still tired, hurting, swelling, the neuropathy seemed worse, etc. and to be honest I think we were all a little nervous about the visit.  They did a lot of blood work and flushed her port.  He wants her to keep her port in for at least a year.  She was a little bummed about that.  BUT PRAISE GOD all of her blood work was okay and she just has a UTI.  I have only had one UTI and was hospitalized with it, so I can only imagine how bad she has felt walking around for weeks with one. 

We'll go back in 3 months for more blood work and 3 months after that she'll get a scan. 

I do want to set the record straight.  SHE DID IN FACT HAVE CANCER!  Somehow some people translated what they heard or read into her not having cancer at all and having to do the chemo "for nothing".  I had a couple people actually ask me that.  I was blown away.  (By the way, insurance companies won't let you have chemo without proof that you need chemo). 

February 4, 2014 she was in fact diagnosed with a rare form of cancer (Malignant Mullerian Mixed Tumor).  She would have had to do the chemo treatments no matter what to kill any cancer cells that were left behind.  What happened was her first surgeon left remnants of her cervix and it grew making the doctors think the cancer was growing.  Dr. Huh told us that leaving some of the cervix behind and it growing the way it did only happens 1% of the time (go figure right?).  All of the scans she had showed this growth.  He said he would still have done the 2nd surgery she had 100x over because without doing that, we would always be concerned about this growth. 

Although the second surgery could have been prevented had the first surgery been done correctly, it is what it is and it all happened for a reason.  No matter what, a miracle still happened.  My mother is CANCER FREE!  We all know lots of people that do not get to say they are CANCER FREE.... so to be able to say that, is a true miracle.  Those are miracle words. 

I can't end this post without sharing pictures that Kayla sent me while we were at the post op appointment.  She helped me with the children and kept me posted with lots of snap chats :).....








2 comments:

  1. I've been wondering how she's doing! She's on my mind a lot. I'm so glad to hear she's doing so well, except for the UTI. I hope she's feeling much better soon!! And yes, it was TRULY a MIRACLE from GOD. I still get emotional just thinking about it and I don't even know you all in real life, LOL. :) Keeping her in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete