Thursday, November 20, 2014

Packing 2500 Shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child

We have looked forward to this night for a while now.  The rush that you get as you are packing the shoe-boxes is unforgettable.  This year our church packed a little over 2500 boxes.  It was once again, amazing. 



For a crowd this size and that many boxes, everything has to be organized.  VERY organized.  There are a lot of people that spend numerous hours working and preparing for this night.  It definitely didn't happen over night. 










Our children's classes wrote letters to put in the boxes.  Out of all the boxes I was so surprised when we picked up one of Heidi's very own letters.  I was blown away. I took a quick picture as she was trying to get it away from me to start stuffing.  THEN I had SEVERAL people come up to me and said they too had gotten a box with her letter and that it made them cry.  I was so thankful I thought to take a picture so I could read it later.  Heidi wouldn't tell me what she wrote in it.  My friend, Stacy, got a picture of one that she found too.  It completely melted my heart when I read it.  Just to know that she wrote this same letter for several boxes to be delivered to boys and girls all over the World. She is a special kid with a big heart.
....ANDDDDD..... to end the night we were enjoying eating a chicken finger plate in the chaotic kitchen, when Sophie knocked over her tea glass.  I got the mess cleaned up and stood in line while they made more tea.  Once I got it, I headed back to the table.  She had just got back in my lap when all of a sudden the second cup of tea fell out of her hands.  It. Was. A. Mess!!  Thankfully I had some help cleaning it up, but I had no hope for my clothes at that time.  I boxed up the plates and we headed home :)!!  I hadn't been more happier to change clothes than I was last night in a long time.....
If you have never packed a shoe box for Operation Christmas Child, I highly recommend you doing that.  Do it with your children, grandchildren, or just for yourself.  The feeling it gives you is indescribable.

This is my blog post from last year when we did it.  What an amazing memory for our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment