Monday, February 17, 2014

Update.....What's Our Next Step?


The youth band played this last night and as usual, it hit my heart like a thousand daggers.  There is no way I am going to be able to go through all that is to come without Jesus and without putting my Faith and Trust in Him.  I need him every hour of every second of every day.  (I know I have shared this song before, but never hurts to share it again).

Okay.... so last Wednesday we met with an Oncologist that comes once a week from Sacred Heart in Pensacola.  Turns out that mom has a very rare form of Ovarian Cancer.  It is called Ovarian Carcinoma (or Malignant Mullerian Mixed Tumor aka MMMT).  It effects only 2% of women under the age of 75.  I told Mama when she did it... she did it good.  Getting the rarest form she could "find".  (BTW.... in case some of you didn't know... you can't detect Ovarian Cancer with a yearly pap smear).  Although they removed all they could see with the surgery, the way he explained it was that you have 100,000 cells in the tip of your finger.  When removed the tissues and other organs, they drop cells without even realizing it because they are so very very tiny.

With that being said, Dr Boatright has not seen a case in 10 years of this kind.  He has us set up with a Gynecology Oncologist that specializes in this area.  We go today for a CT Scan to make sure that it has not spread to the breasts.  Just part of the guidelines. 

He did say it was curable, but the percentage of it recurring is high. 

Mom is in great spirits.  She is ready to fight and wear her SURVIVOR bracelet her friend brought her.  It is all still very surreal to us.  And VERY overwhelming.  I told Kyle I feel like I am walking around with a glass bowl on my head... when I am careful, it won't fall and break.... but then sometimes I can't help it and it falls off and shatters.  Some moments I can talk about "it" fine.... and some moments I can't.  I am just ready to get started on killing the rest of the cells. 

The love and out pour of prayers, messages, phone calls, hugs, meals, etc..... is so very much appreciated. 

I am thankful I have this blog to "vent" to.  One day Mom and I are going to sit down and re-read all of the "journey" blogs and see just how far she has come. 

6 comments:

  1. I think I shared this scripture with you but it comes to mind again -
    Though he SLAY me, yet will I hope in Him. Job 13:15

    Many, many prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have, but please don't get tired of sharing it with me. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Do you happend to know who Sherri Burgess is? Her husband is Rick of Rick and Bubba. On her FB yesterday she wrote about this scripture! It was so neat! If you friend her and read it you would enjoy it!

      Delete
    3. I do know of her. I need to look her up. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine how scary this is for you all. LOTS of prayers coming from Minnesota. God is BIGGER than any of this, HE WILL heal your mom. Trust in the Lord. (which you are) Stay optimistic even though it's so hard (you are) and know you have many people lifting you up in prayer! (you do!) :)

    {{hugs}} to you and your mom and your whole family. I've been wondering how your younger brother is doing with all this...he reminds me so much of one of my sons, I'm always hoping to catch a glimpse of him on your blog. :)

    Blessings,
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sweet! Thank you so much! My brother is doing as expected. Good days. Bad days. We all seem to do better when we are all together. Just ready to get the fight started.

      Delete