Thursday, November 14, 2013

Cat Scratch Disease / Pin Worms

So notice Karter's lymph node?  He has had a runny nose for about a week, so I just thought it was something with his sinuses.  My Dad and brother both have swollen lymph nodes.  Tyler has even had to have one of his removed. 

I took him to the doctor Tuesday.  After being thoroughly examed, she asked if he was around cats.  Of course y'all know we have cats.  My eyes of course are big the entire time because I am thinking about how Kyle is going to react to whatever she is about to tell me.  She then asks if he had been scratched.  Well I didn't remember until he pointed to his chin.  YES!! Sissy cat scratched him a couple weeks ago.  Before I told her it was a couple weeks ago she asked me if it had been at least 2 weeks.  Well guess what?  He has Cat Scratch Disease.  He is on an antibiotic for a week and then we will go back to get it re-evaluated.  So far it is still swollen.  Of course it is rare, and Karter Man is gonna get it. Here is a link if you want to read up on it.... Cat Scratch Disease aka Cat Scratch Fever

I debated and debated on doing a post about the pin worms.  I didn't want to "scare" any of you, or make you look at us as gross LOL!  But it is a natural thing.  Karter had been complaining for A LONG TIME about his hiney hurting.  I brushed it off as... "do you need to go to the bathroom"?  Finally Kyle's mom and sister in law told us how to check for them.  (BTW this was this summer).  When we got home that night, it was late... and Karter was good and asleep.  He snuggled up on that tummy so good and put his hiney in the air.  I was already in the bed, but Kyle thought to grab a flash light and look.  NO JOKE.... THERE WAS A LIVE WORM!!!  Kyle brought it straight to me and I HAD to get a video.  Which turned out to be good because Dr E used it (& the actual worm that Kyle put in tape so we could take) as a show and tell with his nurses. 
Turns out, I had no reason to be embarrassed.  I was completely mortified to even tell the nurse on the phone why we needed to come in.  Just a little FYI.... 1 in 3 people have them and never even know it.  When they are visible, there is an infestation.  YUCK!  So we got some over the counter "PIN-X" medicine for the entire family to take.  We did 2 rounds to make sure whoever had them, that they had them no  more.  I was still embarrassed to really talk about it, much less get it from anywhere in Opp.  We checked EVERYWHERE in Andalusia, and no one had it.  Wouldn't you know!  So we did get it at a local pharmacy.  I also had to wash all of our sheets, clothes, undies, etc.... to make sure they were not on anything. 

Honestly, back in the day parents would "worm" their children at least twice a year.  I really think we may do that.  You can get them from un-clean hands (very common at day cares for kids to have worms), dirt, etc.  It was interesting and gross all at the same time.  This website has interesting information about them.... Pin Worms.

***** In other words Kman is gonna catch something strange if it is out there.  No common cold, no broke toe nail, no sinus issues, but Pin Worms and Cat Scratch Disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment