Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Fairy Tale VS Reality

 OK.... so I thought I would do a Stay at Home Mom Fairy Tale VS Reality post.  What people think we do all day and what we really do all day.  I got this idea from our facetime with Kyle.  He finally "got saved" and switched to an iphone.  He loves it even if he wouldn't admit it until later :).  With that being said, we were able to facetime for the first time in over a year.  We could Skype when he was overseas, but when he went to the gulf we weren't able to.  We were beyond ecstatic that we could finally see one another.  It stinks going 3 weeks with only a phone call and an email a day. 

 Anyway..... so this is like fairy tale facetiming......
 And this is 100% REALITY.......
 Almost the entire time we were talking, Sophie was crawling all over my head, pulling my hair this way and that.  Kman was just calmly sitting and gave KC a thumbs up :)!

So..... a fairytale SAHM to a husband offshore:
* Has all the laundry caught up at all times
* Keeps the house spotless
* Cooks 3 meals a day
* Keeps groceries in the fridge/pantry at all times
* Makes sure all the bills are paid
* Remembers to water all  her flowers
* Smiles at all times, after all she stays at home and doesn't work
* Gets at least one nap a day
* Feeds all the animals everyday
* Shops whenever she wants
* Keeps the yard mowed, edged, and weed eated

A real life SAHM to a husband offshore:
* Does the laundry when she has a chance and hopes to remember to get it out of the washer and in the dryer and then hopes to remember to fold them from the dryer so they require less ironing.
* Keeps the house "straight", but never spotless.  Tries to sweep/vacuum at least every other day when the dirt gets real noticeable.  Puts toilet bowl cleaner in the toilets to clean them while on the run & hardly remembers to go back and scrub them.  Or (like yesterday) sprayed the bathroom down with cleaner and then got busy and forgot to go back and wipe it down.  Tries to make the beds everyday to at least make it feel clean.
* Sometimes not even 1 meal gets cooked.  Unless you count eggs at breakfast as a meal.  Or if you count fish sticks / fish fries at lunch a meal. ( Last night was pizza because I realized I hadn't been to the store to get meat to cook ).
* Goes to the store when it is absolutely needed and you feel like you are about to starve.  Taking the kids grocery shopping is like throwing an extra $100 away over the gummies, fruit roll ups, drinks, & chips that you didn't need 10 varieties of.
* Found it easier to remember to pay the bills with bill pay online and just hope that you don't forget to enter a bill in to be paid.
* Waters the flowers occasionally as her green thumbed mom asks her if she has.
* Smiles as much as possibly especially when it is 8:30 at night and you know your work day is almost over.
* Gets 0 naps a day.  Who has time to nap?
* Poor animals hopefully get fed everyday, but sometimes have been forgotten about :(!
* Never gets to shop unless it is online.  And that is rare.
* Can work a mower and keep the grass cut (that is with the kids sitting on your lap), but what SAHM takes the time to weed eat and edge? Especially because it is hard to do with the kids attached to you at all times.

-----In other words, I absolutely love my job and I am rewarded numerous times a day.  So what if the house isn't spotless.  I got to see Sophie do a forward roll for the first time.  Or so what that I left dishes in the sink.  I got to enjoy playing outside with my kiddos.  I have really long hours.  My day starts when the first kids eyes open.  Whether that be 5:30 AM or 7:30 AM.  My day doesn't end until the last one closes his/her eyes.  Sometimes that's 8:30 and sometimes it is 11:00.  I do not get monetary pay, but I get rewarded with smiles and hugs.  This is absolutely my dream job and I wouldn't trade it for the World.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely LOVE this! This goes for any stay-at-home Mom! lol!

    ReplyDelete