Thursday, August 14, 2014

Cancer is a Word. Not a Sentence. (Moms Scan Results)

As I opened my computer preparing to write you this post, tears began flowing uncontrollably.  The pain I feel on the inside hurts so badly.  I know God has a plan for everything, but sometimes it is hard to wait that plan out.  I know it is not my place to understand His reasoning, but sometimes I wish I could. 

My Mom has become one of the strongest women I know.  She is a fighter!  She fights harder than any of us really will ever know.




We left bright and early yesterday morning for Moms 8:45 appointment in Birmingham to have a scan done to see what "this chemo" has done.  We laughed on the drive up, talked, discussed our thoughts on what we thought the scan would show, and the next steps.

They were very quick about calling her back.

When she was finished we had a pretty long time until her appointment to meet with Dr. Huh to discuss what the scan showed.  We did some shopping and then ate at one of our favorite places, The Cheesecake Factory.

We finished just in time to head back for her 1:00 appointment.

No trip to Birmingham is the same without a group picture.

As we were waiting, I was steadily praying.  I was praying for God to prepare all of our hearts for any news that we would receive.  For Him to help us all see His blessing in this journey.

They called Mom back first and then the rest of us.  Once they called us back, we sat in the room waiting for Dr. Huh for what seemed like an eternity to me.  My heart felt like it was about to jump out of my chest.  I was so anxious.

When he came in, he asked us to follow him so that he could actually show us the scan.  I am so glad that he did.  I am a visual person.  The tumor had in fact grown.  It was 4 cm X 6.5 cm.  It sits right between her hip bones and right at her colon.

I felt like a freight train had smashed me in the ground.  All of the same emotions from February 4th suddenly took over once again. In the mix of how I was feeling, I knew God had answered prayers.

Dr. Huh explained how he honestly did not expect Mom to be sitting there and us having that conversation.  Her cancer is so aggressive that he  did not expect the chemo to do much.  That is a God thing.  That is an answered prayer.  The chemo did not kill the cancer, BUT without the chemo, the cancer would have taken her.  The reality of just how serious and severe her case is slapped us in the face.  We knew it was real.  We knew it was serious, but when I am with her almost every day, I just take for granted "how well she is doing" and sometimes forget about this disease in her.

The chemo alone is not going to make the tumor go away.  Another major surgery is the best option.  The thing is, it needs to be done quickly.  We will be back in Birmingham first thing in the morning for extensive surgery and a 3-5 day stay in the hospital.  After the surgery, we'll go back in 3-4 weeks for a scan and then will discuss the next step.  He was pretty positive that she will have to endure more chemo.  Which she is okay with us that if that is what it will take.

Folks this battle is real.  If you have never been close to someone that is battling cancer, I pray you never will.  It consumes your every thought, emotion, act. It consumes your entire life. 
I just ask you all to continue to pray for Mom.  Pray for her to have the strength to continue the fight.  Dr. Huh told her yesterday that she was like no other.  He could not believe how well she was doing.  The thing is, I know that the prayers from everyone is what has helped her to not fall flat on her face.  It's the prayers that have given her the strength to do "just 1 more treatment" even after she really does not want to.

God is our refuge and our strength.  Without Him, we would all be too weak for anything life brings us. 
There is nothing too big for My God. 



6 comments:

  1. We don't know God's plans and if we did would we understand them. We all must remember that He is in control. Your mother is one of the bravest people I know and so are all of you. Keep the faith and our prayers are there for your mother and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Toyia. {{hugs and prayers}} I wrote 2 comments to this and each time they were erased before I could hit publish. The third time I copied and pasted in case it erased it again. When I right clicked to paste, all that was there was my last line, which was this Proverb, so I'm taking that as a sign it's all you need to see. <3

    ~Trust in the LORD with all your heart; and lean not to your own understanding.~ Proverbs 3:5

    Praying hard for your wonderful mom. And for you all.

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have certainly heard those words before. I am so sorry for the continued journey you and your family find yourself on. Sometimes it seems it will never end then God will throw in a much needed rest. His timing is adequate. Try to keep your focus on God's healing power. Allow him to work in the depths of your soul as you continue on. When doctors have exhausted their resources, God never runs out. He wants your faithfulness and your dependence on Him. Never, never give up. Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH I am praying for you and your momma! I am just down the 280 if you ever need anything when you are in Birmingham and I do mean that. I would be happy to email you my cell number. Many prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers coming from Ohio for your wonderful Mom and your whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers for your mom and for all of you. Sent from Kentucky

    ReplyDelete