Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sherri Burgess

Last night I went to Ladies night out at Southside Baptist Church. I have always enjoyed going to this event. It's a great way to fellowship with other Christian ladies. Last night's speaker was Sherri Burgess. Sherri is the wife of the well known Rick Burgess from the Rick and Bubba show. Rick and Sherri lost their precious 2 1/2 year old in 2008. I was so excited to hear her story since my wonderful friend, Meredith, lost her two precious kids at 2 years 2 months.

I was a little disappointed in the fact that she didn't really tell "her story"... she mostly told us what God can do for you and what He did for her. I really needed to hear that though. He is awesome and He can bring you through anything. It's kind of odd that she was talking about that and all of the "voices" that we have... and Brother Rick Corum preached on troubles Sunday night and I was studying my Sunday School lesson last night and it relates as well. So I KNOW it was all meant for ME! I like to be in control of everything and I think God... okay no I Know God is telling me that He is in control.

Sherri Burgess:
It was really neat all the symbolism's Sherri had that associated to her sons death. And you know I don't think I ever heard her say "death" or "died"... she would say "when he went to Heaven or when Heaven welcomed him". She said that once he went to Heaven they started making connections with Bronner and the number 7. EX: he had 3 7s in his SSN, his birthday was 05-27-05.... so 5+2=7, she spoke somewhere and the took up an offering for his memorial fund and the offering amount was $7,777 and a year later she was somewhere speaking and they took up a love offering and it was $7,777.77, and there were other illustrations she used. The number Seven biblically means "completion". While she was wanting to be angry at God, she KNEW he had a purpose. I needed to hear her speech because could I be like that? Could I give Him the glory in a situation like this? She also said she had a dream and she saw Bronner swimming through water... a few days later someone brought her a book and she said it was about the River of Life... she then knew what God was trying to tell her. She said they always called him "Runner"... because he LOVED to run everywhere. Well she started to notice blue dragonflies everywhere they went... she done research on them and they are called Blue Dashers get it... dasher... runner... and are associated with water. How ironic?

She talked about how happy they "used" to be... they were sooo happy... why did God have to take that away for a short time? Meredith and I talk often about how happy she and Gregg used to be. They are happy now with Kaidi of course, but it's a different kind of happiness. It's only human nature to miss the "happy" life you once had. Sherri said one day she was really angry with God and was pleading to him for happiness... and she said he told her "I don't want you to be happy... I want you to be Holy". Would I be like that?

I remember when Jay Barlette from Kinston passed away... February was 4 years ago because I was pregnant with Heidi.... and his mom would say that everything would be OK.... God lent her Jay to take care of on Earth. Would I be like that?? My faith was really tested.

At the end she asked us all to go down to the alter... and just pray... pray pray pray. I did! I prayed that I would be faithful in whatever situation God put me in. I only want to honor him.... it's just my Earthly mind is selfish and I want what is mine all the time. I want my children forever! I don't want them taken from me.

So I guess I said all of this to say that although I was disappointed that I didn't get to hear her story.... I heard the Bigger Story... the story I was supposed to hear :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment