Monday, December 9, 2013

What a Difference a Mom Makes

**** Okay.... I have just sat here and almost had this entire post completed when whatever that MAGIC button is that I hit occasionally that completely highlights everything I wrote, deletes it, and saves it all in a matter of a second happened.  BEYOND frustrating.  It is never as good as the first round because I don't remember what all was said.****

Last Sunday night in discipleship training, we started a new series "Have a New Family by Friday" by Kevin Leman.  It is phenomenal.  Last week we talked about marriage and last night was Moms.  It was so good to me that I wanted to share with you all some things I learned.

Stressors for Moms:
(1) Children
(2) Time
(3) Husbands

Women are relational people.... "Mama bear's" so to speak.  Money and household did not even make the top 3.  I know that holds true for me.  My children are my #1 stressor.  But mostly because they are learning about life every single day, and it is my job to make sure they know all the fundamentals... so that becomes stressful :).  Time of course.  Not enough time in a day to finish everything.  Or sometimes anything.  You should see how high my ironing pile is.  Ridiculous.  And you know husbands make the top 3.  Love Kyle to death, but he completely stresses me out sometimes.  Dads are so playful.  They get to just play with the kids while the women (or most women... moms) take care of all the other things that need doing.  They aren't multitaskers.  So when he is watching a show on T.V. or riding down the road and looking out the window, his mind is focused on that one thing and the sound of my voice is just like a lullaby that drifts him off to lala happy land.  And finally by like the 4th time I am like.... KYLE.... have you NOT heard a word I have said? baahaaa!

Moms listen, we are multi-taskers, comforters, etc.  We see life completely different than men.  This is so true.  I cry way too often about how fast our children are growing.  Kyle sees the fun in it.  He and Karter can now throw the football together, play baseball, etc... while I am sitting on the bench crying because he IS big enough to do that.  I want to walk Heidi (the other two when they get there) to class the first day of school each year.  Kyle makes fun and asks if I'm going to do that when she is in High school.  I quickly let him know that if the teacher doesn't mind then I just might haha!  He's all like... have a good day... be tough... and I'm sitting in the passenger seat bawling my eyes out because she is now a second grader. 

He also made a good point about disciplining your children.  If you love your child, you will discipline them.  That doesn't mean a constant nag and yelling match.  But do it lovingly.

PRAY FOR YOUR KIDS DAILY!!  The kids and I pray together each night after devotion.  And I pray for them then, but I wanted them to know that I pray for them every day and not just then.  I told them last night that I pray for them every day and Heidi responded, "You do???" and Kman said, "yes and you give us hugs and love us" :)!!!  It is amazing the different mind set in a 7 year old and 4 year old.

He hit on single moms too.  Especially if the dad is MIA....
(1) Do not let guilt be your guide.  Be consistent and be the Mama Bear that you need to be.  Don't dwell on the fact that you are a single mom and feel you could have done things much differently.  That will ruin you.
(2) Don't try to be the mom and the dad.  Just be the mom. 
(3) Have high expectations for your kids.
(4) Don't bad mouth your ex..... EVER!! This is VERY IMPORTANT!
(5) Grandparents need to let mom be who she needs to be.  Don't tell her what to do.  She has this!

**Our children want to please us.  I know that holds true for me.  Growing up, I always wanted to please my parents.  I failed many times, but the thought of disappointing them was a huge downer for me.

* Teach your kids manners.  He said moms are the best ones to teach your sons about relationships.  We know how women want to be treated.  Make them in to gentlemen.
* Talk to  your kids about the dreaded S word.... sex. 
* He made a good point.... Your son doesn't need to wear a skirt, but he needs a good dose of femininity.  SOOO true!  Don't make him into a sissy boy, but teach him things about girls.  He will respect them better. 

And last but not least,

NOTHING LIKE A MOTHER'S LOVE!!!! 

DON'T EVER GIVE UP ON YOUR KIDS!!  Even when they turn a stray and aren't on the path that you know they need to be on, do not give up.  Continue to pray for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment