Thursday, December 15, 2011

As if Goodbye Isn't Hard Enough.....

So you want to hear about a day I had? Yesterday was a true test from God. Kyle and I felt like we had the Devil with us all morning.

We started the day by getting up at 3:15AM. His plane was leaving Dothan at 5:45AM. We left the house at 4 and the only stop we made was in Enterprise and I ran in a store and grabbed a drink. We pulled up at the airport at 5:17AM and he was walking in the door at 5:18AM. I can still remember making eye contacts with one of the ladies at the ticket counter. She then told the other lady something and the other lady went over the loud speaker and said, "the ticket counter is now closed". Kyle was already literally running through the doors... like he said she could have just told him and not had to go on the speaker. Anyway he begged and pleaded and they absolutely would not let him on the flight. He could have gotten on the flight, but not his luggage. If any of you have flown multiple times, you know how hard it can be to track down your luggage at times when it's on the same flight as you.... let alone a completely different flight.

Anyway both ladies were extremely rude. One lady told him, she was sorry, but there was nothing she could do. He should have been here 30 minutes before the flight leaves. He was 3 minutes late walking in the door.... 3 minutes!! She then put her jacket on and walked out a door behind her. The other lady told him that all she knew to do was to drive to ATLANTA to catch the flight (it left at 10:15 AM our time.... and you have to be there an hour before hand to check in for an international flight) and if we left now we could make it. She said it takes 3 1/2 hours from there to get to Atlanta.

He came running to the car. I thought he was joking. I burst into tears. It was an immediate stress. He was completely stressed. I could not believe it. I was completely floored. Completely. Dothan airport is very small. There are a total of 4 planes that fly out of there a day. You can't tell me he couldn't get on that flight because he was 3 minutes past the 30 minute check in time? I was trying to come up with all kinds of solutions. We could drive home and he get in his truck and go. No..... no time for that. So I did what I always do... I called my Dad to see if he could meet us in Troy with Kyle's truck and then Kyle go on. Of course Daddy said he would do whatever he needed to do.... but we had mixed emotions about that. Parking at the airport is outrageous. Dad then said he would gladly go back up there later to get the truck, but my overwhelmingly guilty heart knew that would be a days trip in itself. What to do?? What to do???

We are steadily driving trying to think of things. I was worried about my job because I knew I had no time left to use. My babies were at home and I was supposed to drop Kyle off, be back in time to get them ready for school, and take them. I AM A PLANNER. This entire time, I am steadily crying. We're up early. Drove an hour to Dothan and now this lady says we have to drive another 3 1/2 hours to Atlanta.

So then I thought well I'll call my brother and maybe he can take him and drop him off and then Kyle won't have a vehicle there. Well.... he had a test that morning. :( Nothing was working out. SOOOO I thought... I'll call the airport and see if he can get a flight out of Montgomery. I got lucky enough to talk to one of the sweet ladies at the counter. She was just as rude to me as she was to Kyle. She said, "Well I wasn't the one late. There are no flights out of Montgomery until 1:15". I said, "That's not true. My husband has a co-worker leaving out of Montgomery and will make the flight in Atlanta. " She said, "Well all the earlier ones are full". GREAT!! Just Great!

SOO Kyle then calls my cousin that lives in Montgomery. Maybe he can drive him to Atlanta? My sweet cousin tried and thought of everyway he could to get him there, but Kyle realized that we didn't have the time to even stop and change drivers or anything. We had to get! Jonathan, my cuz, then thought about us buying a ticket for him to fly from Mont to Atl. Shoot yea!! I'm thinking like $100 ticket or something.... TRY $800!!! Ummmmm no!!! It AIN'T worth that much money. Looks like I'm taking him to the Atlanta Airport.

Of course Mr. Optimistic says, "Well we get 3 1/2 more hours together" :)!!! Yep!! He was so right. Poor thing though... he was worried the entire trip that we weren't going to make it. We had to keep checking the miles, the time, he'd time how long it took us to get from one mile marker to the other.

We finally get to Dothan at like 8:53... something like that anyway. He jumped out and ran in pretty much. He called me and said he had to transfer money out of our savings account because he had to pay $319 to transfer his ticket over. There wasn't enough time to call his company and them do it. Dothan Airport failed to transfer the ticket like they were supposed to... Atlanta was hot. They immediately called and reported the ladies in Dothan (1) they didn't transfer the ticket (2) they said that it was the ladies doings to not let him on that flight, not the computer systems. We were so thankful they reported them.

Most of you don't "really" know me.... and just to give you a little hint.... I HATE DRIVING IN TRAFFIC AND BIG CITIES. I get incredibly nervous. I don't do well reading signs, I pure panic. The thought of me getting from Atlanta to home... alone.... scared me. (A little story from my past.... when I was 16, my moms family and I went to Atlanta {or Bham} to a Brittany Spears concert. I drove in the traffic. UGH! I missed my turn and jumped the median... yes JUMPED the median). So leaving the airport, I was trying to watch the signs and I almost missed my turn. I had to go across the middle thing.. not really a median, but a semi-raised concrete thing with reflectors *L*! After that, I was pretty much good to go.

Kyle called me at 9:30 and they were boarding the plane. He said he really barely made it. I told him I loved him, but couldn't drive him to Tokyo *L*!

Anyway.. I was still pretty frigidity because of what had happened, We had just expectantly spent over $500 in a couple hours between the plane transfer and gas, and getting back to work. I honestly have a Great boss!!! She was so understanding and so nice. She was more worried about me driving back all shaken up than anything. She said she knew Kyle was now okay.

To help my feelings, I put my Casting Crowns CD in... I love them! I knew they could comfort me and they did just that. When it got to this song......


Casting Crowns - Does Anybody Hear Her


...... I completely started praising God in my car. Tears filled my eyes. So many people are running.... 100 mph... in the wrong direction. I was thinking of all the unsaved people. There's no time. They have to get it right. Finally.... I felt like between me, God, and the Holy Spirit.... we pushed the Devil right on out of my car.

I joked that the reason I made it safely back was because of Casting Crowns, Christmas Music, and those many little bumps beside the road that kept me focused. I also had a Diet Mountain Dew, hot chocolate, and Diet Coke in me :)!! I was A-Okay!

Anyway.... sorry to tell such a long story. I hope you enjoy this song/video as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment