Thursday, June 2, 2011

Heidi's Speech

I met with Mrs. Buckelew, Heidis (For whatever reason it is not letting me use the apostrophe... ugh) speech teacher, last week about her progress. She said that Heidi has improved tremendously, but she still would like to keep her in speech when she starts kindergarten. To be honest, this concerned me because I do not want her to be embarrassed or think that she is "different" than everyone else. Mrs. Buckelew assured me that she would not feel that way and that most kids see it is a privilege and honor and the other students usually beg to go with them.

At the time of Heidis evaluation, she exhibited 12 error phonemes. Most of her errors are enunciating the 2nd same letter in a word. EX: DaDDy she usually says Daggy. Or Maybe.... she will say "Baby". We practiced Maybe this weekend and she was able to say it. I think a lot of her problem is she gets to talking too fast and her brain is working faster than her mouth is if that makes sense. There were several examples that Mrs Buckelew used when I met with her, my mind is just blank right now.

Because of Heidis speech impediment triggering they say from her ear troubles early on, that concerns me for Sophies speech. Heidi got her first set of tubes at 9 months.... well Sophie was 10 months. We didnt and do not do that "baby talk" that they say do not do.... Heidi was simply just saying the words as she was hearing them. I guess maybe from this experience with Heidi, we will be able to start working with Sophie early on. Heidi was almost 3 when she first got into speech.... and I mostly had her evaluated because my dad kept telling me I needed to because he picked up that she was struggling. I did not know any different at the time (now I most definitely do because of how well Karter speaks). I am glad that he recommended that :)!!

Okay.... well here is my little side note for the day..... Yesterday afternoon my left jaw locked up on me somehow and I cannot seem to "unlock" it. Of course it feels better if I take Tylenol, but once that wears off it is back to the same feeling. It honestly feels like I am going to break my jaw if I keep trying to put my teeth together. My mom thinks it is TMJ. She had(s) TMJ and actually had to wear that lovely head gear for a while. OMG Kyle would soooooo make fun of me if I had to start wearing that. Maybe it will just "pop" back into place on its own. HA!

Anyway.... happy Thursday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment