Thursday, July 14, 2011

HUGE Change For The Colquett Household......

Well starting next month, our little family is going to go through a huge change. Kyle will start his new job working on a drilling rig in Korea. He will work 28 days on/off. He is very excited and I guess maybe I am getting there too? I don't know. I have a lot of mixed emotions. I try to always have my cup 1/2 full, but in this case I seem to see more of the cons.

Kyle has been trying to get on offshore for 3 years now. He never thought he would start off overseas and working 28/28. Of course we have prayed about it, talked about it, listed the pros and cons.... and Kyle says the pros out way the cons. Maybe he is right?

It is going to be such an adjustment for not only the children and me, but Kyle as well. He joked and said he was "looking forward to his vacation". HAHA! We have known about this job for about 6 weeks now. Everything is lined up and ready to go.... and his passport should be in by next Tuesday. He had to go to New Orleans to get a physical and had like 6 shots and they had to take 7 valves of blood, xrays, etc.

With his current job, there have been so many nights this past year that the children were in bed when he got home. YES he was here everynight, BUT you are asleep. His current employment cut their hours back to 40 hours when they were guaranteed at least 44 hours per week. Those 4 hours make a big difference in his paycheck. So this new job came at just the right time.

We told Heidi about it last week. She didn't take it so well. She woke up the next day and immediately started crying and she cried the entire way to Kids World. She already missed her Daddy she said. It broke my heart :(!

We are most definitely going to miss him like CRAZY, but at least there will be 4 of us and if you have ever been to our house, then you know there's not a lot of "down" time. With that being said, we are always going to be thinking about him, but not have a lot of time to mope and cry. that is until the children are in bed and I am up all alone with no one to talk to. No one to laugh with. No one to watch TV with. I am going to miss his help. He helps me SOOOO much.... we make a good team. It's going to be hard.... real hard... and if it were this past year, I really don't think I could have made it. With Sophie getting bigger, things are getting easier. We started going over stuff night before last that he does that I need to learn how to do.... like change the air filter, feed ducks/chickens/dogs, the type of food the animals eat, how to weed eat, how to crank something with a pull chord, how to charge a battery if my car goes dead, how to change a tire, how to put washer fluid in the car, OMG killing a HUGE spider *YUCK*, etc. BUT thankfully our parents are WONDERFUL to us and help so much.... so I know they'll be right there if I need them.

Unfortunately he is going to miss a lot of things in our lives. He'll miss school activities, dance recitals, ball games, anniversaries, birthdays, holidays, family gatherings, weddings, etc. His first hitch out he'll miss his cousins wedding and his growing up best friend's wedding. On the flip side, we'll be able to do so much more as a family when he is home. He'll get lots of time with the children. We'll be able to take more vacations. Time when he is home won't be so much of a routine anymore. I know it'll go by so quickly, but we'll just have to make sure to treasure each moment we all have.

So next month it is. He'll leave for school in Houston mid month and from there go to Korea. So his first time out will be more than 28 days. To be very honest with you and myself, I am sad. I am going to cry. I am going to miss my friend. I joked and told him that when he came home don't be surprised if we had a King size bed.... because I'm going to just put Karter and Heidi in here with me *L*! Heidi already is in here and Karter winds up in here. Poor Soph just likes her own bed *L*! He is going to be able to go with me on Heidi's first day of school and take her and pick her up from school a few times before he leaves :)!

We'll have to learn to Skype and do all that fun stuff. And I may need some tips from all of you offshore wives out there. I know it has to get lonely sometimes. And then to remember that not only are they your husband, but they are also a son. And as a mom, I know that his mom is going to miss him like crazy. He is still her baby. I'll have to share him when he comes home :)!!

Okay... anyway.... I think I have chased that rabbit long enough. You may start reading about a lot of venting in the next few months *L*!! But I know and he knows that this is what God has had planned this whole time. We feel at peace about it. I know I had to ask God to send a red bird to me... and when he sent the red bird, I wanted a blue bird to sit by the red bird. When the blue bird came I needed something else. You get me? Finally God is like look this is IT. And because of that, this is why I am blogging. I felt as though it was time to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment