Sunday, January 6, 2013

Heidi's room in the making....

 Whew!! My goodness I have had a time lately with blogging.  I have been trying since Friday morning to do this blog and it wouldn't let me upload pictures.  Nor would it let me copy and paste.  I finally done a lot of research and had to download Mozilla Firefox and go through it to be able to do it.  (Side note.... think I am going to like this better anyway.  It does spell check hehe!!! The other didn't).

Anyway..... I thought I would do a blog especially for Heidi's room.  I still don't have Karter's exactly like I want it, so that is the reason I haven't done it yet.  Heidi originally told me she wanted a pink and orange striped room with peace signs.  Of course my mind started going 90 to nothing on how I was going to do this.  Especially with the textured wall.  Karter's 1 stripe in his room was aggravating enough.  I had finally talked her into us painting 3 walls pink and doing 1 wall the stripes.

I got busy planning.... not thinking she would change her mind.  I had got online and finally found a bedspread I liked.  I wanted to do a solid color for the bed and then accent with pillows and such.  I found the bedspread at Target online actually.  Once I ordered it, I ordered her orange curtains off ebay. 

After the curtains and bedding came in, she changed her mind and wanted a  pink room with a turquoise wall.  Okay I thought.  I can do this.  Except, if you know me, you know I don't like to waste.  So somehow I was going to have to still use these orange curtains.  Oh my stars, it has all worked out perfectly.  It is not complete yet, but definitely turning into Heidi's dream room.

Here are some pictures of the process......

Heidi's room was once our bedroom when we first moved in.  When we added a master bedroom on to the back of the house, we had to enclose a window in her room and in her bathroom.  So we created shelving where the window once was.  Notice how it is all white?

 We decided to recarpet 1 room at a time as we do them.  We just didn't think about it until AFTER we got Karter's room situated LOL!  Soooo gonna hopefully move all of his stuff out over the next month and put the carpet in there.

Once all the carpet was pulled up in her room, Kyle had the idea for us to put our "stamp" on it.  I would love to see the people's faces that buy our house and change the carpet eventually.  Wonder what year it would be then?
 HAHA They were loving the feel of it.....
 Did you notice that the white shelving is now different?  I modge podged some scrap book paper on the back part of it so it wouldn't look so "blah" with the other decor.
 I had been trying to decided what kind of headboard I wanted for her room for a while.  I had done lots and lots of research and finally just decided to use a pallet.  Well no joke like 2 days before we were going to get it, I was watching this awesome show called, "Flea Market Flips", and they created this amazing headboard with like 6 squares of some silk fabric.  I was so excited about that that I called my MIL and told her to turn it to that channel really quick so she could see it.  Next thing I know, we are at our local fabric store and I'm buying fabric to create a headboard.

Next thing I knew I had to go to our local hardware store and bought a huge piece of blue board.  You should have saw me drive with that thing.  It was the length of the inside of my car, so I had to drive with my head all bent over.  Safe huh? HA!
 And then I tried (but I cannot seem to do a straight line on anything) to cut them in 16X16 squares, but Kyle ended up having to fix them :)!!!  So I have 6 squares to work with.
 I also had to end up using 3 of the rolled cotton stuffing stuff?? I don't know the correct term for it AND ended up not having enough fabric and buying 1 yard extra of each design.  So this "cheap" headboard ended up costing me more than I thought. 

I taped the cotton to the board to get the thickness I wanted and then covered it with fabric and taped it on the  back as well.  So the back of each square literally looks like a tape mess!  Once I finished them, Kyle screwed them all to a big piece of plywood and hung it with a wire.  And WHA-LAH....
 I added the chandelier that I bought on eBay and it soooo transformed the room. 

I saw on pinterest where you can mix a thing of glitter in a gallon of paint and paint it on the wall.  The glue dries clear and the glitter stays.  So I may still do that and modge podge glitter on her light plate.  

So anyway.... it is all a work in progress.  I had several messages about how I did the headboard, so I thought I would just blog about it to let you all know :)!! 

1 comment:

  1. The headboard is cute! Love the fabric and it looks so comfy!

    ReplyDelete