Friday, June 28, 2013

What Is A Friend?

Studying my Bible the other day I came across some notes I had jotted down by some verses.  I'm not sure how long ago I had wrote them, but they really touched my heart as I looked back over them and I thought I would share them with you.

What is a friend?  We all have different answers to that question for what we would define a friend as.  But I am going to give you the Biblical definition.  They are coming from the New Living Translation.  I like to use that Bible when I am studying scripture because I can understand it better.

(1) A friend is willing to sacrifice.
               1 Samuel 18:4
                       Jonathan sealed the pack by taking off his robe and giving it to David, together with his tunic, sword, bow, and belt.

(2) A friend is a loyal defense before others.
               1 Samuel 19:4
                      The next morning Jonathan spoke with his father about David, saying many good things about him.  "The king must not sin against his servant David," Jonathan said.

(3) A friend gives others the freedom to be themselves.
                1 Samuel 20:41
                      As soon as the boy was gone, David came out from where he had been hiding near the stone pile.  Then David bowed three times to Jonathan with his face to the ground.  Both of them were in tears as they embraced each other and said good-bye, especially David.

(4) A friend is a constant source of encouragement.
                1 Samuel 23:15-16
                       One day near Horesh, David received the news that Saul was on the way to Ziph to search for him and kill him.  Jonathan went to find David and encouraged him to stay strong in his faith in God.

I won't say a whole lot about those because they will speak to you differently than they spoke to me.  I know for my personal self that I just try really hard to be a faithful friend & always try my hardest to encourage my friends and others.  I may not always agree with what others do, but that's me giving them the freedom to be themselves. 

ALWAYS BE A GOOD FRIEND :)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment