Thursday, March 17, 2011

Forgiveness

Before I get started on my "soap" for this title.... I want to say we were finally able to go to church!! Kyle and I actually got home at the same time. He and the kiddos played outside while I got the pizza ready (per Kyle's supper request *L*), changed, washed bottles, etc....and did 2 loads of laundry. At about 5:50 they came inside and took a bath and then ate supper before we left. It felt good to be back in the swing of things. Melissa Flowers gave her adoption story and I'm so glad I didn't miss that.

But anyway.... the reason for my title is on Sundays, Brother Garry has been doing a series with Romans 12. I love the way he started doing this because it is so much easier for me to understand. He just takes a small group of verses and we really break each verse down.

Can you think of the one person that has truly just hurt you the most? The one person that you honestly can't stand to hardly think of or be around? The one person that really makes your body cringe??? How do you respond to that emotion?

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you." Matt 5:44

If you could open everyone's chest and see straight through to their hearts, you can most likely see scars. Scars from being hurt, shamed, embarrassed, neglected, and every other negative word you can possibly think of. BUT that's just what they are.... scars. Once we have forgiven that person, the scars are still there.

If you have ever thought.... well they don't deserve MY love.... well guess what???? Once you have thought that, that person needs your love now more than ever. As Romans 12:14-16 states, we chose to bless those who have wounded us. Forgiveness is a choice.

I always laugh at Brother Garry.... he somehow seems to always bring laughter into the sermon to make me understand things better. He said women are historical. Which is so true. We sit and dwell over the past and will occasionally bring something from the past up. Men are over it right then. Not very often do they bring up something that happened yesterday.... let alone 5 years ago.

Forgiveness is a process.
(1)forgive- remember this is a choice
(2)forgiving- the process
(3)forgiven

You have a choice: YOU be God, or let God be God.

This one really stepped on my toes...... "Revenge is NEVER an option for a follower of Christ". How many times have you thought about how easy it would be to get even with someone?
*Personal retaliation is prohibited!! It is like fighting a fire with a hose filled with gas.

Those of you that know me know that I don't do enemies very well. If I know that I have wronged you, I will come to you and apologize. There's no questions asked.

Okay.... I know this post got longer than I like, but I am going to leave it with some quotes that I really like.... and to be honest, I have no idea who said them or where I got them from. I just keep them wrote down and look at them often.

Heaven is not for people who are scared of hell..... it is for people who love God.

We can't say that we love God, but hate the church.

As a parent, if someone asks your child who the Godliest person they know is, and they don't name you, you are not doing your job.

Now that last one should hit home with you. It does me.

No comments:

Post a Comment